Saturday, October 27, 2007

St. Lawrence Market Adventure

In the last few months I've become obsessed with the concept of the farmers market. I guess one too many article about eating "local" food etc.

I am also starting to feel a bit bad about killing the environment and have taken on a carpooler (yeah, he would be taking public transit...so not really taking people off the road...but it's a start!)

Have also ditched the plastic bags, even the little produce ones too! Ian claims that I am putting the petrochemical people out of business, but the in-laws are pretty much retired so that's ok right?

I decided to turn the farmers market obsession into action and convinced Ian to walk over to St. Lawrence market with me. They have a special warehouse type thing across the street from the regular market on Sat only. Supposedly, these are authentic farmers.

I picked up all sorts of good stuff! 3 squash for $5. 4 colored peppers for $1.50. Some tasty tomatoes and some beets that I plan on eating tomorrow. Also picked up a broccoli that I turned into some not very tasty soup. Not really the broccoli's fault though.

Ian couldn't stop stressing that these farmers were likely not reporting the income from these transactions, but a peameal bacon egg cheese bun combo cheered him up slightly!

No comments: