Sunday, September 23, 2007

Jack Astors

Ian and I went on a little camping adventure to Awenda this past weekend and swung by Jack Astors in Barrie for a late lunch. We went there a year or so ago and it was reasonably tasty - but perhaps that was just the deelightful individual apple pie lard/sugar talking.

Today was only alright - I had some veggie kung pao stir-fry with rice, Ian had a cajun chicken sandwich with guacamole + veggies and fries. I have taken up a new healthy eating regime and Ian did not feel up to a whole pie, so no desert for us :(

The real problem this time was the service. The waitress gave us a fair bit of attitude and seemed visibly upset when we refused the drink special - $10 sapporo bottles or an equally overpriced slushy type drink. Like you honestly can't be that upset when we turn down the liquor 1:30 on a Sunday afternoon? Then more snitiness when we didn't want to order the feature crab/cheese dip special appetizer.

She seemed to neglect us for quite a while and it took forever to bring the bill after she took the dishes away. Apparently, some sort of computer malfunction. I had my doubts though...just before the bill came, she came round the corner, looked at our table, did a 180 and came back with the bill in 1 minute. Almost like she just forgot about us???

Update from Ian
Another source of annoyance for me was the fact that she argued with me when I asked for the Cajun Chicken without Mayo. She tried to tell me that it doesn't come with Mayo. I was thinking I must have misread but I argued back anyway saying the menu claimed there was mayo (fortunately I see now that I was right). She fights back a little so I just respond that as long as the thing doesn't have mayo I'll be happy. Whatever happened to the customer always being right?

1 comment:

Jackie Bolen said...

Hmmm...Chain restaurants. Never really a good choice, in my opinion perhaps with the exception of BP's. But even that's only a once every 2 year event.