Sunday, December 06, 2009

Tacos Al Asador Round #2

The last time around Ian and I were rather pleased by the price to quantity ratio and did not comment on tastiness which tells me it was only ok. Round #1 review here.

Round #2 was a Friday night about 7:45. This unfortunately meant a line-up right to the door for this popular El Salvadorian taco joint in the Annex. Also unfortunate was the argument Ian had with one of the owners who got upset at him for monopolizing a tables while I waited in line to get my order in. In the end, there were enough tables for everyone, but I think we had better give this place a cooling off period before going back.

On the menu this time was a chicken burrito, pork quesidalla, beef quesidalla, mixed pupusa, plantain and a coke.

Ian thought the chicken burrito was plain and the corn tortillas wrapped around the beef quesidalla (real chunks of beef and lots of cheese) were amazing. Both items came with a mini salad useful for stuffing into the quesidalla. Also on the table was a bowl of misc. fixins including jalapenos, onions and cilantro and a bowl of yummy hot sauce.

The plantains to share were good, but plain. Who can argue with fried members of the banana family?

My pupusa was interesting - it was a corn pancake type item with a mystery cheesy filling. It came with a side of pickled purple cabbage. All around good stuff. I ate with a fork and knife, but I later saw some authentic Latin Americans eating naan bread and curryesque - using the pupusa to pick up the slaw. I guess I'll know for next time.

Total price was $18.10. By my count, it should have come to $17.10, but no need to argue, we just tipped less to compensate.

No comments: