Saturday, November 18, 2006

Salad King

Janice has been to the Salad King a few times. Not me though, the name is scary - are they going to have real food if they are the king's of salad?

Well tonight I took a bold step forward and went to the Salad King with Janice. It was quite the trek up to a Yonge and Dundas but when we arrived we were able to get a table right away. That was good. Waiting for over ten minutes to be served though was bad

A word about the seating, instead of the crammed together tables that many of the cheap Thai/South East Asian genre are famous for, this place goes for school cafeteria style seating (or equivalently ski chalet style) with long benchs. On one side we had a pole separating us from a table for "two" which was nice. "Two" because halfway through they crammed a single in to join those two. Awkward with two a's.

Anyway on to the meal. I had a "special" of spicy combination which was chicken and seafood in a spicy sauce. It was fairly good. I ordered only one chili on a 20 chili scale luckily as it was really spicy. The scale lacks consistency as Janice's one chili dish of some peanuty tofu curry wasn't anywhere near as spicy. Now the special supposedly comes with a free drink. I look at the fine print and it says up to 1.10 value. Sounds good but then I flip the menu over and see that there is nothing available for 1.10. The cheapest item, a pop, is 1.20. I ask the waiter what's the deal - what drink can I get. He says I can get a pop so I get the champion of all pops, a coke. Tasty as I haven't had from a can in a while. Enjoyment ended come bill time when they had in fact charged me 1.20 for the pop. Not worth arguing so I let it be. In total with tax, tip, appetizer and a "free" pop it was 25 and change. Not too bad.

A website is apparently coming in December.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have a solution for when we get charged for things that are supposed to be free (or other such mistakes in billing). It's mathematical:

"item that was supposed to be free" = "waiter's tip"

Saves a lot of time and hassle plus it is really an intelligence test for the waiter.

We sometimes work it in reverse - if an item gets forgotten or left off the bill, the waiter reaps the reward in tip benefits.

KP