Monday, August 25, 2008

The Chipotle Invasion

Well a Chipotle opened up in Toronto last week just a tiny bit north of Yonge and Dundas.

I was super excited to hear of the arrival of a new burrito chain so I went today for dinner. It unfortunately didn't live up to my excitement due to a few disappointments:
- no guacamole in the burritos. The Chipotle's web site features guacamole but they want 2 bucks for it. I'm unwilling to pay over a dollar for an avocado so I'm certainly not paying 2 bucks for a tiny bit of guac. I'm not sure why no chains support the guac in canada. Are avocados significantly more expensive in Canada or is there just no competition forcing them to offer it?
- defective tortillas. The carnage out there was brutal as most of the burritos were falling apart during the burrito construction process.
- slow burrito making.
- price, $8.50 without chips, salsa or guacamole.
- too many ryerson students. Well I can't fault them for that.

Overall, I liked the look of the restaurant with its large open kitchen. The burrito was reasonably tasty without the guacamole so I'll definitely go back but it probably won't be for a while.

No comments: