Sunday, February 26, 2006

Oakville Curling Club

Sorry for the lack of updates, Ian has been in California (AGAIN) and I've been in the Sault hanging out in steel plants. Quick note, lots of good italian restaurants in the Sault. Aurora was ok. Some place on Queen downtown was good, forgot the name. Thymly mannor also tasty but expensive.

Yesterday I made it home in time to go the second annual pat o'riley bonspiel at the oakville curling club. Food was alright, good snacks, breakfast, lunch (sandwiches, squash or b.b. soup) with dinner (rice, veggie, chicken, oreo cheesecake with two bottles of wine on table).

I went to the same spiel last year, and they classed it up a bit more and seemed to have overall better food. Maybe a different caterer or food comittee?

A "tasty" rating overall.

The value department requires some explanation. I paid $45 for the day, which is pretty typical for a spiel of this nature. My team came in 10th place out of 32 teams, so we went up the prize table relatively early. Sadly, the top 9 x 4 = 36 prizes were already gone, but I grabbed a whole foods market gift card. There was no value indicated on it, so this is probably why it was still available by the time I got up there. On the way home, I swung by the new whole foods in oakville and found that it was worth $50! So I spent the $45 on the spiel, $10 of raffle tickets, and $10 on drinks. Basically, I ended up spending net $20 for curling and three meals, so "two thumbs up" in the value department.

1 comment:

Jackie Bolen said...

sounds like a good day all round. Glad you are back blogging - I've missed reading about your eating adventures.

M