Sunday, December 09, 2007

Bedford Academy

Besides the aforementioned terrific grad student christmas party, I also had the TA union christmas party last week too. It was at the Bedford Academy up on Prince Arthur (I know north of bloor but only by a block)

We of course arrived just as the party started to ensure we'd have maximum time there. We found our union brothers and sisters in a nice room off to the side that was set aside for the party. The food soon started coming and it was pretty good. The usual bar fare with fries, nachos, pita + other dip-ables with sketchy dip and chicken wings was all reasonably tasty. There were some terrific surprises though. First decent sushi arrived which made the night for me. It wasn't the mediocre california rolls that I would expect (if I were expecting sushi) but instead decent pieces sushi nigri. Then much later on platters of mini-burgers came around and conveniently came to rest right in front of me. Once we also procured the condiment tray we were set for the night.

The food was plentiful and it definitely makes this month's union dues seem like good value. I just need 7 other events like this to make me happier about the other months of dues.

In general we upheld the stereotype of introverted engineers but we did end up talking to our "Grievance Officer" for a while. The union's key phrase is "Don't work for free" so it was funny to hear that this guy who handles all the "Don't work for free" quarrels feels like he's working too many hours.

No comments: