Wednesday, January 21, 2009

BBQ Express

This place has the nickname "hole in the wall" at the office. When I first heard that I thought the place would be a just a typical random restaurant. I was wrong, the BBQ Express on Belair (just north of Bloor) really is a whole in the wall. They don't even have an actual door. You enter in the tiny ordering area through a sliding door that people have to quickly close manually

Anyway on to the food. The menu is simple. Chicken or Pork Souvlaki, Fish Sticks or Bul-go-gee. Maybe there are other items, but that's all I've ever seen ordered. The restaurant is run by 3 Korean ladies (or ajuma) so it's sort of surprising that korean fare isn't featured a little more prominently.

I have always ordered the Chicken Souvlaki. It comes with: Salad (with dressing if desired - I don't get of course), Pasta Salad, French Fries (with ketchup), rice and the actual chicken souvlaki (with tzatziki sauce). All that in the normal large size take out container for the decent price of $7.40. Not bad - I suspect the visitors to Harry Rosen's flagship store next door, aren't BBQ Express' target customers.

As to the eclectic combination of food, it's all reasonably tasty. Unfortunately, the chicken is generally overdone so it's fairly dry. The french fries are decent and while I'm usually against pasta salad, their salad isn't bad.

This place is definitely a good place for a pick up lunch in this neighbourhood. Apparently it's a chain so maybe there's one near you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds disgusting!