Saturday, January 13, 2007

Hero defeats Shawarma Sanbad

We hit up two restaurants for lunch. Well each of us went to one place. Janice went to a place at 671 Queen St W with a sign above the door saying Shawarma Sanbad(sp?). I didn't see any of the red/yellow/green signs that restaurants are required to display indicating their inspection status so I wasn't about to eat there. Janice persisted and had a falafal which she reports was tasty but not as good as Sarah's Shawarma. While eating I observed that the place was quite sketchy, there didn't seem to be a sink in the kitchen area. Not good - basically like eating off of a plate of money that has been handled by hundreds of people. Upon further reflection it seems like a different restaurant was there in the past and a new place has squatted in on the place without regard for things like "health rules", etc. A check of the Toronto DineSafe site mentions a "Mr Jordan" restaurant at that location as of August 2006 - sadly only a yellow for them.

I on the other hand couldn't resist going to Hero burger which I haven't been to in over two years. This was my first time at the queen st location and it was as good as I remembered. I went for the 6 oz. The burger itself was quite good although my bun was slightly over cooked. Hopefully it will be less than two years before I go again.

One day when lotto 649 pays out for me I'll get mine with guacamole (55 cents extra) and I imagine it will be an extraordinary. My shorter term goal will be to get a six dollar burger with guacamole at Carl's Jr since I believe that is only 30 cents more (well plus the plane ticket to the nearest Carl's Jr)

1 comment:

Janice said...

I am basically just waiting to get sick from the food poisoning. Not a matter of "if", more "when".

Ian looked up Sarah's and it is also sketchy...pest control problems. No more falafel unless I cook it myself!