Thursday, November 29, 2007

Island Foods

Well today was the usual Thursday lunch. I was in favor of the korean bbq place that I really should have blogged about weeks ago. The place was amazing, all-you-can-eat for 7.99 + tax. Sadly I don't remember the name of the place (hence the lack of blogging about it, well that and laziness) but if you're ever at Yonge and College (not Carleton as then you'd be on the wrong side of yonge) walk north for a few blocks and look for a good deal! Seriously, I guess I'll post details when I convince the gang to go again.

Back to today's lunch, we went to the food court across from the OCAD building. I think they building may officially be called the Village by the Grange but I call it the food court with the McD's. As opposed to the Taco Bell food court which goes by the name "College Park" to the rest of the world. Anyway, there aren't really a lot of good options. There's McD's obviously but with Whoppers still sitting heavy in the belly from Whopper Wednesday I figured I'd give the heart a break. Others were fans of Wiki-Chicken and hit that up but I generally don't like the pick a few items format. Instead I made a big mistake and went to Island Foods.

The place always has a long line which you'd think is a good sign. Not exactly, they're just trying to compete for world's worst service. I'd been to their location at the Ex before. Same deal, long wait. Their menu is reasonably large so you'd think that might be the problem but no everyone gets the exact same thing, boneless chicken roti and I was no different. You'd think that would enable them to churn them out as fast as Ronald makes Big Macs but no that is not the case. The final product was alright but it wasn't worth the wait. At 6.95 the price isn't terrible but again the wait is unforgivable. I had been to Ducky's on Lakeshore earlier in the week and sure that place definitely qualifies as sketchy and hole-in-the-wallish but they manage to deliver a tastier roti with comparative haste. (With Ducky's I do find it a mildly troublesome sign that the guy is always shocked that we'd eat in but that's forgivable - bad service isn't!)

My recommendation, if you like getting frustrated by bad service and you enjoy long lines then give Island Foods a try. Otherwise, stay away.

No comments: