Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Ducky's Roti & Caribbean Food

The Car Problems:

My check engine light has been off and on for the last little while so I bring it into my Hyundai dealer and they say that I need a new catalytic converter and my exhaust pipe is all cracked.

I was SHOCKED! The converter was just replaced two years ago. It must be some sort of manufacturing defect I'm thinking??? The car is only 5 years old with 120K on it. The emissions system warranty is supposed to be for 7 years/120K, so you don't think they'd design the part to fail twice within the warranty period...especially since it's $1000 a pop.

The whole thing is kind of annoying, but much less so since up until this point, the friendly Hyundai warranty people have paid for it!

Anyhow, now the emissions warranty really is up, so next is one is on me I guess? That will make the whole thing much much much much much much much more bitter!

At this point you are probably wondering what my car problems have to do with Ducky's Roti joint. Well...

The Roti Problems

I'm actually pleased to report that there were no problems. Ian and I did a complicated Kipling subway pick-up arrangement to go and get my car and stopped by a roti joint on lakeshore just west of kipling. I had the "vegetarian delight" with channa, potato, pumpkin and spinach for $5. Various other veggie options for $4 to $5. Ian had boneless dark chicken meat for something around $5.75 Ian says he paid $13.83 for everything including a large pineapple beverage and tax (no tip). Both pretty yummy.

For a slightly different twist on beverage (versus Roti Palace), this joint got some authentic stuff called "Solo". It appears to actually be manufactured in Trinidad Tobago. The palace has a similar tasting beverage that poses as Caribbean but is actually made in Brampton!

No comments: