Sunday, January 06, 2008

Janice's Cake Gone Horribly Wrong...but Then Got Better

Usually, I'm a decent cook, but today it went wrong. I attempted to make the "ginger cake with hard sauce" from my William's Sonoma Bride and Groom Cookbook, but it certainly did not turn out like the picture!

Sorry no photo's, Ian has the camera in E-town till tomorrow!

My cake ended up with a liquid layer of dark molasses at the bottom and a light tasty cake on top. The picture did not show any sort of split.

Since the molasses on it's own is not that tasty, I decided to try and get rid of some of it.

I turned the cake out of the pan and scraped off the molasses. Of course, at this point the cake looked pretty gross! To fix it up, I used the "hard sauce" - basically butter icing - to attempt to fix it! Unfortunately, it is now extremely squat. Arggghhhh! Hopefully it will be tasty - but as back-up I bought some PC sticky toffee pudding!

No comments: