Sunday, October 09, 2005

Ho Su

Ian was desperate to go out for lunch so we tried a new cheap sushi place in the neighborhood. This place was more Korean than Japanese.

Location: Queen St between Spadina and Avenue.
Menu: Around 30 lunch special bento boxes and soup. Priced around $6-8 each.
What we ate: As soon as you arrive, they give you little dishes of kim-chee, some spiced potatoe and some small red bean. Generally pretty tasty as well as unexpected. Then came salad (OK) and some very yummy miso soup. The best I've had in a few years. Ian ordered a chicken teriyaki and tempura combo. Came with cole-slaw, rice. I had a veggie bento, came with veg tempura, cold tofu with some sauce, cole slaw and kappa maki.
Review: Lots of little dishes of steaming hot stuff made this place fun to eat at. Ian's chicken was good, tempura had a fantastic flavor, too bad it was a bit cold and not fresh. I got a glimpse of the kitchen and they had what looked like 50 lbs of cooked tempura sitting on the grill, ie they cook once for the whole afternoon. My meal was alright, kappa maki was fantastic with good flavored rice. The cold tofu was not so good, but more my own fault for ordering it. Same comment as for the tempura, good but a bit cold. Cole-slaw was tasty.

In general, this place was a decent meal, although I was a bit dissapointed by the lack of veggie lunch specials. Maybe 2/30 were for the veggie eater. From the chop-stick wrappers, it appears to be a bit of a mini-chain, plus it was rather busy when Ian and I went for a late Saturday lunch, so this tells me they are doing something right. We'll be back, but it may take a few tries to figure out what to order.

Next time I think I would just order off the menu and go with yam and kappa maki.

No comments: