Sunday, February 25, 2007

Fun Nutritional Stuff Involving McD's.

Ian and I went on an Ikea/Home Depot mission this morning to buy ourselves a decorative cinder block for the parkade. It's not actually decorative, more for chaining up the kayaks and possibly bike now that the condo people in charge are cracking down on my storing of my kayaks on top of and beside the locker :(

I think it's only a matter of time before they crack down on people's junk in the parkade, but we'll hope for the best!

Anyway, the whole point of this is, we wanted to go to Licks for lunch, but they would not sell me the kids nature burger combo since I appear to be over 12. In anger/protest, we left and then since we were hungry we stopped in at McDonalds on the way home. Ian had the Crispy Chicken - seemed to be moderately tasty.

I strayed away from my usual grilled cheese happy meal and went with the fillet-o-fish combo and shared my fries and drink with Ian. On the tray liner, they had some fun nutritional facts.

Just for information, you can take a look at the Dietitians of Canada website to find out how many calories per day you should actually consume.

I'm about 2354 cal/day! Ian around 2852 or so, give or take some due to my shady math conversions.

To find out exactly how tubby you are making yourself by eating at McD's, you can download the nutritional flier. Or even more fun...actually way, way more fun is to launch their handy nutritional calculator.

Here's some meal options that I worked out for you blog readers:
  • Big Breakfast - 630 calories, but 58% of your RDA of fat, and an even more disturbing share of 70% of your RDA of saturated + trans fat. But as Ian points out, are you even supposed to be eating ANY saturated/trans??? Anyway, on to the next point. Side points though - good thing that Ian and I usually share the big breakfast. That would be pretty gross to eat the whole thing on your own.
  • Even if you skip the fried food and get a single sausage McMuffin with medium OJ, you are still up there in the 650 cal range with 52% of your sat + trans level.
  • Occasionally (and I mean like once every 2 months) I'll stop by McD's by work while doing some errands and pick up a grilled cheese sandwich meal with small fries, child's orange beverage and McDonaldland cookies instead of toy. Looks like I should be laying off the cookies, the meal is a whopping 800 calories all together. Ian doesn't seem concerned, he said, "that seems happy! Calorie per dollar, that is tough to beat." Also disturbing, kids eat these meals. Clearly a 3 year old does not require the same calories as me!

  • The ultimate in grossness is a double quarter pounder with cheese combo meal with coke and fries. 1420 calories! A whopping 95% of you RDA of fat.
No wonder that guy from "SuperSize Me" got so large in a such a short amount of time!

1 comment:

Jackie Bolen said...

When I was hiking the AT, it was all about max. calories/min. $$$. I'm all about that!