Sunday, February 11, 2007

Steam Whistle Brewery

A couple of weekends ago I went on a Brewery Tour with a few people. It was pretty decent value...I chose the 6 pack tour for only $13. And with this ulta-close location, the convenience factor is pretty high (just thought of this, how handy would that be to become a brew-master there? No more commute for me!). Anyway, pretty good value considering they threw in a tasty 6 pack of beers that would normally cost $11.95 at the LCBO. Before, during and after the tour there was ample opportunity to replenish the samples, so I probably had the equivalent of about 3 beers on the house! Nice work by me!

Tour itself was pretty decent, although had to keep it quiet a few times with facts about "centrifuging, decanting, heat exchangers" that were a bit out to lunch. One electrician that we went with told me that "this wiring isn't up to code". At the end, we even got to pull an authentic steamwhistle. The tour guide tried to get us to eat barley, which normally I would not be aginst, but in this case, probably 1000 people had pawed through the same bucket...

Overall, worth checking out. Lots of history at this brewery and the building is a designated historic site (back in the day, steam engines used to come there to be repaired).

No comments: