Saturday, February 24, 2007

Leftover Troubles

Does anyone else find the leftovers and/or produce stressful?

Usually on Sat or Sun, Ian and I will take a flip through my cookbooks, come up with a plan for meals and then buy groceries accordingly. Just trying to avoid the throwing out of veggies and having to make extra trips to the grocery store to pick up stuff we don't have. Usually works out pretty well...unless, we eat our more than expected. That brings me to stressful situation number 1.

Having veggies, dairy etc that are going bad. Due to our cheapness affliction, nothing makes me sadder than throwing away some spinach that has gone south or dairy that has expired.

Stressful situation #2 involves:

Ian and I are trying to healthy it up and have been eating at home more often. The leftovers often get out of control because of the lack of a microwave at my office and Ian's insistence on either eating out when he goes into school or eating PC frozen meals when he stays home for lunch. Who can blame him, they are generally tastier than home cooking, and now with the blue line of meals, probably healthier too??


For example, take the ricotta spinach dumpling items with tomato sauce that I made on Tuesday. Ian didn't quite like the look of them so he made some pasta and chicken to go along with my tomato sauce. That in itself shouldn't be a problem right???

WRONG. For some reason, Ian seems to have made a whole box of pasta, thinking that I would also partake in it. Apparently, he only made 2/5 of a box, or a couple servings, but maybe we are light eaters because it turned out to be a lot of food.

Then, I had some cooked chickpeas in the fridge (from our middle eastern feast hummus making last weekend) that I felt I should use.

Also had some fresh parsley, cilantro that wasn't getting any fresher. So despite the leftover pasta, ended up cooking my chickpea-squash curry for dinner on Thursday.

So then we had the chickpea curry, more rice, and the old pasta.

It was out of control!


Maybe we should just take up eating out all the time? But then I guess we would be stressed about packing on the pounds and lack of $$ saving?

2 comments:

MarkC said...

Can't you just throw out food you don't eat?

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, you have finally identified yourself former anonymous dude.

Yeah, throwing out food is good if you are a big spender!

Janice