Sunday, February 04, 2007

Potato Leek Soup for AK

As promised to my co-worker AK, here's the recipe for soup that we made a while ago! Pretty tasty stuff, although not as creamy as some (like our cafeteria for example).

Ingredients:

5 medium leeks
2 large boiling potatoes (Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn)
8 cups veggie stock
1 t salt
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
1 T chopped fresh chives

How to make:

Clean/chop leeks well. Peel potatoes and dice.

Bring stock to boil, add salt, potatoes, thyme and garlic. Cook covered 5 minutes. Add leeks, simmer uncovered until leeks and potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Remove thyme, ladle soup into bowls, garnish with creme fraiche and a sprinkle of chives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks Janice. I logged on your site and didn't expect the recipe to be there yet since you've been working longer hours. I copied it and if all goes well, I'll let you know on Monday how it turned out. Mz K aka AK

Anonymous said...

OK, I made the soup. I have to say, it wasn't as delish as the one from work. I found it too brothy....tasty though just not the creamy substance you'd expect from Leek & Potato Soup. I even used my hand blender to puree the potatoes and leek and it just settled in the bottom. J liked it enough. Except, here we are a week later and there's still some in the fridge. How long does it keep considering it has no meat and I didn't add the cream to the pot? If I don't show up for work on Monday, blame the soup. Mz K.