Sunday, March 04, 2007

Home Cooking Fun

Ian and I did our usual Saturday night thing and cooked at home.

To start, some bruchetta. It was going well, until Ian convinced me to put the bread under the broiler. Although that is probably the best way to cook it, I purposely avoid it since I usually forget about the bread and then it burns. So yeah, no surprises here, it got a little crispy. Overall still yummy though!



Main course was Risotto with some leftover squash. Recipe from William's Sonoma wedding cookbook that Ian's cousins gave us.

According to Ian, the real main course was pan fried honey mustard salmon from our favorite President Choice. Ian always says "if it's good enough for the president, it's good enough for me." Salmon was not exactly all that honey-mustardy, but still was pretty tasty. Mildly annoying, the two pieces were completely different shapes and thicknesses, thus making the cooking more difficult. I suppose not really the presidents fault though, it's hard to control fish size and shape??? Also some sauteed $2 asparagus from the no-frills.

A bottle of 2005 Masi Valpolicella. The website is a little confusing, but I think I found the right page. Billy said this is the "Best valpol in years" and classified it as a "lively red". At $13.95 it was hard to go wrong. He said this wine is good for summer foods and a good partner for roasted chicken or salmon. Ian felt that he detected a hint of strawberry and oak, while I thought that I tasted some cherry. Just kidding....we are not very connoisseur-y regarding wine.

For dessert stayed relatively healthy and had some strawberries and Chapman's fro yo. Mmmm...

No comments: